Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hi, I'm Back

Okay, so it has been almost a year since I last posted a blog. And, I am resolving to do better. The challenge I have, like everyone else in the world, is that there simply isn't enough time in the day to do everything on my agenda. But, I promise to do more with this blog.

Something that I have been thinking about lately is the lack of family histories in the world. I am told that genealogy is the single most popular hobby in the world today. In the United States, alone, more than 75 percent of adults have expressed interest in their family history. It seems that we should be writing more. It is a straight forward process: Tell me about your family. Yes, I understand it is so much easier, and less time consuming, if you simply repeat the stories passed from generation to generation. The oral history is great, but we need to write it down.

A good friend once suggested to me that anything worth saving is worth writing down. The old cliche, "talk is cheap," applies here. Repeating stories does not guarantee the stories will be remembered. So, we need to write them down. The blogs, the web pages, the Internet resources are all ephemeral. If you want to make it last, WRITE IT DOWN.

Okay, enough of my soapbox rantings for today. And, I promise to visit again soon.

No comments: