Saturday, April 10, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For ...

Here is another interesting article for Genealogists and Family Historians. Regarding the conflict and sharp emotions that may be exposed in family research, I can attest to the reality of it all, through personal experience.

Early in my career I had discovered my Great Grand Mother had a less that admirable past. Although members of my immediate family found the information interesting, I had an uncle who was shocked and upset by the details of her life. Only out of respect for him I stopped searching for details in her life. I still remember his statement twenty years after the fact, "some things are better left unknown," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7567716/Genealogy-can-open-Pandoras-box-of-family-secrets.html

Although, we have to recognize that the further back in time, scandals are less upsetting and more interesting.

It all creates an interesting balance for researchers.

No comments: